TMNT Unknown Facts
Wild Factoids About the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles You Probably Never Knew
- In the original movie, all women are named after months of the year; e.g., April, May and June.
- If you watch the scene from the skate park, be sure to note the “Mirage” signage. This was homage to Mirage, the company that produced the original TMNT comic book series.
- Did you know that the first TMNT movie set box office records for “Highest Grossing Independent Movie” of All time? It made about $133-million at the box office in total gross sales.
- At the end of the film, a street punk says, “Check out East Warehouse on Lairdman Island.” Did you know that Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird were the creators of the TMNT?
- Michelan Sisti, who played Michaelangelo, also played a pizza delivery boy in the same movie.
- The first movie showed a swamp scene in the trailer, which was actually a plug for: TMNT II: Secret of the Ooze.
- David Forman, who played Raphael, also played a thug in the warehouse later in the film.
- Leif Tilden, who played Donatello, also played a thug that attacked April, as the Foot Messenger. He slaps her in the subway station and says, “We’ve been looking for you, Miss O’Neil!”
- Playmates Toys originally refused to make toys for the first film, citing it was too violent and dark. But after the second film was released and toned down, they agreed to make the popular toys that collectors now fancy.
- The Splinter puppet required three simultaneous puppeteers for filming.
- The scientific definition of the TMNT acronym is: Tortiesa Adolicious Ninjitsua Mutalia.
- The turtles are all supposed to be: Red-Eared Sliders Turtles.