Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #126
Story by Sophie Campbell
Art by Pablo Tunica and Ronda Pattinson
Published by IDW
Released February 16th, 2021
The battle between the TMNT and the Punk Frogs rages through Mutant Town and there can only be one victor! Meanwhile, tensions come to a head between the Utroms and the Triceratons and the ramifications will have a big impact on NYC!
Okay, These Punk Frogs Are Pretty Dope…
After a rather solid previous issue featuring Utroms, Tricertron clone babies, Punk Frogs, and Splinter Clan headquarters burning down, Campbell seems to be moving forward with familiar characters, high stakes, and full steam. Which is a big fat breath of fresh air. With a supposed showdown between our TMNT and Battletoads 2022, can she keep that momentum going into TMNT 126?
Spoiler: She does. Issue 126 delivers in a satisfying way with a lot of story and action covered in a standard issue. Raph returns to create tension amongst the Splinter Clan…yet they all have one thing on their mind: REVENGE. The Punk Frogs and TMNT duke it out, with Donnie and Alopex running into Dr. Barlow. Who looks like he stepped out of a nightmare fueled horror comic. The Utroms and Triceratrons butt heads on the future of their race, leading to a shocking ending.
- Pattinson’s solid colors balance Tunica’s often goofy looking character expressions
- Campbell tackles a lot of scenarios in this issue and balances everything extremely well. The past couple issues have been a wonderful departure from what we’ve been getting.
- Another high octane balance of NINJA action and story. No teen relationship drama or political meandering bogging down the pacing.
- Dr. Barlow is an intriguing and creepy villain I want to see more of
- Not sold just yet on Tunica’s art. The layout and sense of movement are great, but the characters’ appearances range from goofy to haunting. April can look like a caveman in one panel and the Turtles can look very feminine in another.
Notes: Another solid entry in the TMNT’s current storyline. I’m hoping Dr. Barlow plays a larger villain role moving forward and I missed the brisk thrilling action that TMNT should bring.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #126 is now available wherever comics are sold!