How to Make a Ninja Turtles Costume
For this project, I will be showing you how to make a Ninja Turtles costume…more specifically, a Leonardo costume. Keep in mind, you can become any Ninja Turtle you want by simply changing the colors and weapons. I found most of these items, including the plastic swords at the dollar store, so you really don’t have to spend much to make this awesome costume!
- Long sleeve green shirt (Found at Target)
- Green tights (Wal-Mart)
- Light brown cloth (Big Lots for a $1)
- Brown permanent marker
- Aluminum pan (99 cents store)
- Green spray paint (Wal-Mart)
- 2 Plastic swords (99 cents store)
- Blue sports bandage wrap (99 cents store)
- Glue gun
- Needle and thread
- Wide brown belt
- Cardstock – gray and blue (Michael’s)
- 1.5″ brown and blue ribbon (Michael’s clearance section)
- Blue mask (Party City for a $1)
- White elastic bands (Wal-Mart)
1. Cut out a chest with the brown cloth. You can cut the shape out on newspaper first and then transfer it over to the cloth.
2. Outline the abs with the brown marker
3. Hand sew or machine sew the chest onto the front of the shirt
4. Take your aluminum pan and spray paint it with the green paint. Let it dry completely.
5. Cut out a circle with the gray cardstock and the letter “L” with the blue cardstock. Paste the “L” onto the circle.
6. Make another one of these for your belt.
7. Take your mask and sew a piece of blue ribbon to each side of the mask so that you can tie it in the back
8. Go back to your pan, which will serve as your turtle shell. Hot glue a piece of the brown ribbon across the middle of the shell.
9. Paste one of the circles with the “L” onto the center of the ribbon.
10. Wrap the blue bandage across the handles of the swords.
11. Hot glue the plastic swords onto the shell.
12. Run another piece of ribbon across the bottom of the shell and on top of the swords.
13. Spray paint the elastic bands green.
14. Cut the bands in half and glue it on the inside of the shell to resemble backpack straps.
15. Tape the other circle with the letter onto your belt
16. Put on your shirt and tights. Tie a piece of blue ribbon around your knees and elbows.
17. Then put on your shell and finally your mask. Congrats! You have become a Ninja Turtle!