How to Crotchet Ninja Turtle Eyes
A Ninja Turtles costume isn’t complete without their signature eye masks. Sure, you could go out and buy a colored mask but what’s the fun in that? A better idea is to crotchet your own Ninja Turtles eye masks. You may think that this would be a difficult task, but this project is actually intended for beginning to intermediate level crotchet-ers. Here is a video tutorial on how one crafty fan crotched her mask. We have also written out the instructions to make it easier to follow as you watch the video.
- 4 mm/G hook
- Yarn needle
- Yarn (mask color should match the Ninja Turtle of your choice)
- Raphael – red
- Michaelangelo – orange
- Donatello – purple
- Leonardo – blu
1. Make a slipknot with the end of the yard
2. Chain 29 stiches with the 4mm hook
3. Count back 17 chains from the hook, and do a half double crochet into the 17th chain
4. Half double crochet into the next 4 stiches
5. Chain 8 stitches
6. Skip eight slip stiches and join to the 1st chain
7. Chain 3 and then double crochet 11 into the chain space (eye hole)
8. Spread out the chains so they are not bunched up together
8. Half double crotchet the next 5 stitches
9. Work 24 double crotchet into chain space. Spread them out so they cover the entire chain.
10. Work 1 half double crotchet into the next 5 stitches.
11. Work in 12 double crotchet into chain space and then join into chain 3
12. Now you will be working on the straps that will be tying around the head
13. Chain until you have the length of your head circumference
14. Single crochet into second chain from hook and work your way back
15. Single crotchet into next available stitch
16. Work an increase (two single crotchet into the same stitch)
17. Work one single crochet in next 2 stitches
18. Repeat steps 16-17 until end of round (ends on the opposite side at the 12th stitch)
19. Now its time to work on the opposite side for the other strap
20. Make the other strap the same length as the previous one. Chain just like before.
21. When you reach the end of the chain, single crotchet into the second chain from the hook and work your way back
22. Single crotchet into next available stitch
23. Work an increase (two single crotchet into the same stitch)
24. Repeat steps 22-23 until you reach the first strap
25. Slip stitch into the next stitch and do a chain one
26. Finish off and sew-in the ends.